Monday, September 18, 2006

Football quick hits

It's time to get back to semi-regular posting, and I will start with a truly important topic--football.

Yesterday was an exciting day in the NFL. My team for this year, the New York Giants, pulled off an amazing comeback to beat the Eagles in overtime. The Eagles dominated the first 80-85% of the game, and then the Giants scored 17 points in the 4th quarter--including a field goal with 7 seconds left--to tie the game and send it to overtime. Then Eli Manning connected with Plaxico Burress on a long pass for the winning score.

The Sunday night game was a mixed result for me. For those new to this internet party, I have been a Cowboys fan all of my life--but not this year because of the presence of terrell owens (read Kiss my ass, Jerry Jones if you want the details). I wish failure on any team that chooses to have that no class clown on its roster. The Week 1 loss to Jacksonville made me very happy. Last night the Cowboys won, and there are two things that nonetheless gave me some pleasure. Although I have found that I can keep from cheering for the Cowboys, I find it more difficult to keep from rooting against the hated Redskins, especially since I'm a Giants fan this season. So, I can take some pleasure in the Cowboys drilling the Redskins 27-10. I can also smile over the facts that 1) t.o. played poorly (he dropped many passes and failed to score), and 2) he is now injured (broken finger) and will miss 2-4 weeks.

t.o.'s injury means that he will likely miss the game against the Eagles in Philly. My, how convenient for him. I really wanted to see him take the field there. ;-) And by the way, even if t.o. sustains further injuries and does not play again this season, I will remain part of the anti-Cowboys faction. As long as he is on the roster, I will not cheer for the Cowboys.

On to college football...My alma mater, SMU, finally won a game this season with a 45-14 victory over Sam Houston State. This win came after a big loss against Texas Tech and a truly embarassing defeat at the hands of the University of North Texas. I don't mean to belittle UNT in any way. The Mean Green has built a decent Division 1-A program. UNT has had success recently that SMU wishes it had. And UNT kicked our butts. It was sad. So, we get a big win against SHSU, and everything's great, right? Well, SHSU is Division 1-AA, so the fact that we won big does not necessarily mean much. However, I hope that now we are over our customary September swoon and the team will play up to its potential. We play Arkansas State this weekend, and then conference play (CUSA) starts the following week as we go to New Orleans to play Tulane.

I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing my two least favorite (to put it mildly) college teams get their butts kicked the last two weekends. I loved watching ut get thoroughly whipped--at home, no less--by Ohio State. I would rather cheer for t.o. than the longhorns. And then this past Saturday, Michigan went to Notre Dame and crushed the Fighting Irish. Good times. :-)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home