Thursday, June 22, 2006

Time flies when you're having fun...

My lack of activity on the blog has been due to an increase of other activities. Work is very intense right now, as I am currently set for a big trial in mid-July, and I have been working on some major court-imposed deadlines--and there is so much more to do. There is a good chance the trial date will be reset, but unless and until that happens, I am going to be extremely busy. And then there is a matter of a major family medical situation with my father, and that is definitely top priority around here. So don't expect a lot of posting here for the near future. That should give folks time to go work on some counterpoints to previous posts, if they are so inclined.

In the meantime, here are some quick sports-related thoughts:
  • Congrats to the Carolina Hurricanes. I was backing Edmonton all the way, but Carolina was just slightly better. Being able to roll four excellent lines all the time and Cam Ward (the MVP) in goal were the difference. However, I thought Brind'Amour should have received the Conn-Smythe trophy (for MVP). Still, for Edmonton to make it to Game 7 in the Finals was a great accomplishment. It was a great run for the Oilers, and it was a great final series.
  • The Mavericks either got complacent after two games or choked. Either way they blew it, and they allowed one person--Wade--to beat them. Did the Mavs get screwed over by the refs? Yes. Did that cost them the series? No. Blowing big leads (remember Game 3?) time and again cost them the series.
  • The U.S World Cup team was pitiful in their opening match with the Czech Republic. Now we are out of the tournament. Very disappointing.
  • Otherwise, this World Cup has been entertaining. Even if you are anti-soccer, you should watch some World Cup matches. There is no other sporting event in the world that matches the World Cup's passion and excitement.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your father, hope everything turns out OK. It's difficult having aging parents.

I've been involved in a legal case, a felony theft of flash cards from the workplace. May be headed to court by next month to testify if it gets that far.

I wonder if Mark Cuban beat the Mav's with his antics. From here in the east, it seemed the focus was on him, not the team. It was a surprise ending.

I have thought off and on about a reply to your post below on gays. We've been babysitting 2 grandchildren, ages almost 4 and 19 months, for the past 2 weeks. I was given strict instructions that when I get home my time is not my own. There is a reason God made parents young and grandparents old.

Sorry, I just can't get excited about soccer.

6/22/2006 7:50 PM  
Blogger WCharles said...

Thanks for your words of concern (seriously). Cancer combined with atrial fibrillation, congestive heart failure, and now a bit of pneumonia is a bit of a bitch.

If you do have to testify, some good general rules to follow when the defense lawyer is questioning you are 1) to keep your answers short and specific to the precise question asked, and 2) don't volunteer info which does not directly answer a question. Don't be combative, but don't do the lawyer's work for him (or her).

Cuban was a distraction, but that has been his schtick for several years now. The players are used to it, and generally they love the guy because he really takes good care of them. I think that mentally and emotionally they just did not have the experience. Miami had Riley and Shaq--two strong leaders with plenty of championship experience.

Just as family is top priority for me right now, it should be for you as well. Just make sure that those grandkids know something about the trombone. :-) The response to my post can wait. It's not like the topic is going to go stale anytime soon.

6/22/2006 11:29 PM  
Blogger WCharles said...

My father has been in the hospital since last Monday--and in the ICU since Thursday morning. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday were rough. By tonight, his condition had improved greatly. He was stable and relaxed. Still, he is going to be in ICU for at least another 24 hours. I expect him to be in the hospital through most of the coming week. Things are improving, and we all are hopeful.

6/26/2006 12:08 AM  
Blogger WCharles said...

I think the judge in that case might need to make the lawyers go sit in a corner for a time out. :-)

6/26/2006 10:09 AM  
Blogger WCharles said...

In an effort to maintain some consistency in postings, I will say here that our ongoing discussions will be on hold for a few days. The long story short is that about 2 hours ago my father went into full ventilatory failure and is currently on life support, meaning that--in accordance with his express wishes--my sisters and I might be making a most difficult decision very soon. We will know more from the doctors in a few hours, but things ain't looking good.

6/28/2006 2:37 AM  
Blogger WCharles said...

Late last night I saw on ABC a news report on the flooding that showed portions of your city. I hope you and yours are safe and high and dry.

6/29/2006 9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, our flooding made national news. I live about a 1/3 mile from the Susquehanna River and last night it reached about a block away from me. My place sits up higher, so I'm safe. We walked around last night and took a few pictures. You can see more at pressconnects.com

I've lived in this house for 29 years and it never rose this high before. We got hit hard in 1972 after Hurricane Agnes and I even remember the big flood of 1960, but this one is the worst. My favorite pizza place is 2 blocks away under water - and there is a lot of raw sewage in it - guess I'll be finding a new favorite pizza place.

6/29/2006 2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home