Friday, May 19, 2006

NHL Conference Finals

Game 1 of the Western Conference finals is just under way, and it should be a damn good one. Both Anaheim and Edmonton are playing great hockey right now. Some of my favorite players in the league are are both teams--Ryan Smyth and Michael Peca for Edmonton and Todd Marchant, Teemu Selanne, and Scott Niedermayer for Anaheim. And in a bit of irony, Marchant was a longtime Oiler.

It's a tough call, but I'm picking the Oilers to win the series. I think the Ducks have a bit more skill and talent, but the Oilers are slightly bigger and more physical (and Pronger is really playing well), they have the more experienced goalie, and I think the intangibles are in their favor.

Keep your eye on Ducks rookie winger Dustin Penner. This guy is 6'4", 240 pounds, and has great vision and sweet hands.

The Eastern Conference finals will also be a great matchup with Carolina and Buffalo. Like Anaheim, Carolina seems to have slightly more talent and skill, but Buffalo is playing at such a high and consistent level, and I'm picking Buffalo.

If it's an Edmonton-Buffalo final, I don't know who I will be cheering for. It would be great for Buffalo and Lindy Ruff to win the Cup. And BTW, the winning goal in 1999 was reviewed and it was legal under the rule which had been put in place--had the old "in the crease" rule still been in effect, the goal clearly would have been disallowed, but that was not the rule in place. Sabres fans can take joy in the fact that their team is still playing while the Stars played like crap in the first round for the third season in a row. Back to an Edmonton-Buffalo final...I would like to see the Sabres win the cup, but I have liked Edmonton for about the last eight seasons, and I think it would be a great thing for the game of hockey for a Canadian franchise to win the Cup. And in another bit of irony, Peca--now on the Oilers--was the captain of the Sabres when they were last in the Cup finals in 1999.

So, if it's Edmonton and Buffalo, I just want to see a seven-game series of great hockey. If it's Anaheim-Buffalo, I'm cheering for Buffalo. If Carolina makes the finals, I'm cheering for the Western Conference team.

Man, I love playoff hockey!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey W2, I'd like to post a comment to your post above about the DHS, but your blog won't let me. Are you starting to censor posters that may disagree with you? (typed tongue in cheek) (is that a mixed metaphor?)

5/21/2006 6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never mind, I got it.

5/21/2006 6:42 PM  
Blogger WCharles said...

I have been working on a post about the new CIA nominee (who used to run the NSA), so maybe your earlier problems might indicate that my tinfoil hat is no longer shielding me from the government's mind-reading rays.

5/21/2006 7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home