Saturday, March 18, 2006

Kiss my ass, Jerry Jones.

The Dallas Cowboys today signed t.o.

For the next season, I am a Giants fan.

I have lived in Texas all but the first six months of my life. I have been a Cowboys fan since I was old enough to know about football. I remember the Ice Bowl. I cried when the Browns beat the crap out of the Cowboys in the playoffs one year, whereupon my mother told me that football players didn't cry, and I pointed out to her that the cameras showed Don Meredith crying after the game. I was stunned with grief as Jim O'Brien kicked the last-second field goal to win Super Bowl V. I remember like it was yesterday when Bob Lilly chased down Bob Griese and Lance Alworth made a spectactular catch at the sideline just inside the front pylon of the endzone for the the first touchdown of Super Bowl VI. I relished the Cowboys' dismantling of the Broncos in Super Bowl XII, but wished that Craig Morton had won a ring when he was the Dallas QB. Jackie Smith--who I still consider to be the best pass-catching tight end ever--dropping the ball in Super Bowl XIII causes me more pain than Game 6 of the 1986 World Series. I still hate Candlestick Park and the Forty Niners because of "The Catch" (which even I have to admit was probably the greatest catch in NFL history). I stuck with the Cowboys through the decline of Landry's last seasons, Jerry Jones's ham fisted firing of Landry, and that awful 1-15 first season under Jimmy Johnson. Life became wonderful again as the Cowboys became the dominant team of the 90's. Johnson left, Switzer came in, and the Boys still won another Super Bowl, exacting a bit of revenge on the Steelers. Then came the decline of Switzer, followed first by the mediocrity of the Chan Gailey era and then more of the same under Dave Campo (but to be fair, Jerry never let those guys run the team). Even then I was a loyal Cowboys fan. For a long time, I really disliked Jerry Jones. And then I came to respect him once he realized he needed to let someone else run most of the football operation. I came to see and appreciate the good things he had done for the Cowboys.

One more thing...I was in Texas Stadium in 2000 the day t.o. did his TD celebrations on the star at midfield. I have watched--just like everyone else--what a punk ass he has become since then.

And now I have no respect for Jerry Jones.

And now this lifelong Cowboys fan is going to be rooting for a team in New York City.

As long as t.o. is on the team, the Cowboys are dead to me.

2 Comments:

Blogger WCharles said...

The success of the Cowboys in the early 90's was due to Johnson, and everybody knew it. He made the personnel decisions and deals. He put together the coaching staff. He ran the team. Once Jimmy left, Jerry was obsessed with showing the world that he could get the job done by himself--and he failed miserably. This period included hiring Gailey and Campo as head coach--and then refusing to give them any authority or back them up at all (for that matter he did the same with Switzer). During this time Jerry was intimately and directly involved in everything. Eventually, Jerry saw the error of his ways, swallowed his enormous ego, and hired Parcells to run the football operations and put his son Stephen more in charge of the business (and Stephen is a good guy).

And now he brings t.o. to Dallas.

You are so right about "the funny part."

I would add that in addition to thinking that t.o. can make the Cowboys a winner, Jerry is about marketing and making money. He loves bringing in big names to keep the Cowboys in the news and try to sell, sell, sell. He will do this with almost no regard to how it affects the team as a whole. He just doesn't care about that, even though he might think he does.

3/19/2006 12:04 PM  
Blogger WCharles said...

The Giants would have been smart enough not give him a contract!

3/19/2006 12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home