Saturday, July 01, 2006

Jefferson Holland Campbell: January 19, 1931-June 30, 2006

At 6:33 a.m. yesterday, Jefferson Holland Campbell, my father, left this world.

He will be greatly missed, but there is great joy and thanksgiving for his life and the direct impact it had on so many other lives through every facet of his being--husband, father, friend, minister, and teacher.

One recent event encapsulates so much of who my father was. Just before the end of the spring semester, my oldest sister and I accompanied our father to the Student Government Association Awards Banquet at Midwestern State University. We were there for two reasons. The first was that one of my father's students, first name of Anthony, had been nominated to be chosen Outstanding Junior Male Student. What Anthony did not know until just before the awards banquet was that he had been nominated by my father. The second reason we were there was that my father had been nominated as Outstanding Faculty Member, and, unbeknownst to him until shortly before the awards banquet, he had been nominated by his student, Anthony. Prior to the banquet, we did not know whether Anthony would receive the award, but we did know that my father had been chosen as Outstanding Faculty Member for the year.

This is significant for several reasons. My father officially retired in 1999. He continued to teach some courses, and the last few years they totaled two per semester. Thus, his chance for many students to get to know him was smaller than for full time faculty. However, as the president of the American Studies Association of Texas, he was responsible for bringing not only the ASAT annual meeting to MSU, but in procuring as keynote speaker award-winning author Scott Momaday. To do that, my father convinced the Student Government Association to also pay for Momaday's appearance as part of the university's Artist Lecture Series. He knew that bringing someone of Momaday's stature would reflect well on MSU, and he was very interested in doing that. The point is that even though he was teaching only part time and had no other obligations to the university, he made enough of an impact on his limited number of students and on the university as a whole to be chosen as Faculty Member of the Year.

So, before the awards banquet started, everyone was milling about in the open area outside the banquet room. I was standing next to my father while my sister was across the room talking to someone. My father noticed that the "someone" was a member of his Sunday school class. And then he saw other members of the Sunday school class--none of whom were affiliated with the University--arrive. Puzzled, he turned to me and asked, "Why are they here? Who are they here for?" I turned to him and answered in a tone that some might have interpreted as inappropriate for a son to use with his father, "Well, that would be you." He then asked how they found out because he had not told anyone about this award, and I informed him that my sister had told the Sunday school class members. They had wanted to put on an event which would honor my father--some sort of "This is Your Life" event. My sister and I immediately said that would not be good for it would make our father very uncomfortable because he had never liked having that kind of spotlight on him. My father's response when I informed him of how the Sunday school class found out about the Outstanding Faculty Member award proved us right. He said, "Well, that is more than a little embarassing."

Jeff Campbell's picture could go in a dictionary next to the word "humility," but he would consider that to be unnecessary praise. Almost any effort to publicly recognize and honor him had to be done on the sly; otherwise he would not allow it. He would much rather see those he had touched be recognized for what they achieved. And that night, he saw just that, for Anthony was indeed named as the Outstanding Juinior Male. When that announcement was made, my father's face beamed, whereas his expression when he stepped forward to receive his own award was one of "O.K., I have to go up there."

Here are a few things that people have said to my sisters and I the last few days about our father:
  • Jeff Campbell: good soul. That's all that needs to be said.
  • He was not perfect, but he was perfectly good.
  • With most people, you can say, "He's a good guy, but..." With Jeff Campbell, there was absolutely no "but."
  • He leaves a legacy of grace, love, and encouragement.
I will be delivering the eulogy, and I will be asking everyone to carry on that legacy in their own lives in their own way. My sisters, my nephew, and myself know that this is what he would want--just as long as there is little mention of his name. After all, even in the afterlife, we don't want him to be embarassed.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My deepest condolences, WCharles. Sounds like your father was a wonderful man. It would have been interesting meeting and talking to him.

7/01/2006 5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, W, I don't know you or your father, but I got goosebumps reading your last two posts. It's too easy these days to underestimate our fellow man, but your father sounds like one of those people who reminds us all of the worth of the faith we put in each other. As Ray often says, "we may disagree, but..."

I can't begin to express how grateful I am to have been connected in some way to you and Ray and I hope that my sympathy for you and your family somehow reaches you through the same channels that brought us together.

You two brought me a sense of continuance with my normal life while I was in Iraq and have continued to cause me to think from perspectives I wouldn't have considered on my own. I consider that invaluable. I hope my thoughts reach you in some way on that level.

Having lost my father just over two years ago, I know that nothing I type here can make much of a difference in the grand scheme, but know you will be in my thoughts. The one piece of solace I can offer is this: relish the role you now occupy in your family. Your father has prepared you for it in ways you will only now begin to realize. From the sounds of it, even if you fall short of his example, you'll be doing well. Embrace that role and you will honor his memory.

8/13/2006 7:50 AM  
Blogger WCharles said...

Luth, thanks so much for your words and thoughts. Your sympathy has indeed reached me through the channels that have brought together you and Ray and me.

"You two brought me a sense of continuance with my normal life while I was in Iraq and have continued to cause me to think from perspectives I wouldn't have considered on my own. I consider that invaluable. I hope my thoughts reach you in some way on that level."

I think all three of us have had that kind of effect on each other, and I am also grateful for that--although I think Ray might feel like we two "crazy liberals" gang up on him from time to time. :-)

8/13/2006 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home