Sunday, August 13, 2006

DCI FInals

Well, my favorite corps, Phantom Regiment, was third in the DCI World Championship Quarterfinals, and then had a significant increase in score in the Semis, but so did the two corps in front of them (Blue Devils and The Cavaliers). Phantom managed to increase its Semis score in the Finals while Blue Devils and The Cavaliers went down. However, while Phantom passed Blue Devils, The Cavaliers managed to edge out my favorite to win their seventh championship--and fifth in the last seven years. Phantom won the title in 1996 and has finished second five times.

To give you an idea of how close competition among the top corps can be, it is very much within the realm of possibility that one missed note by one brass player or one misstep or drop by a color guard member can mean the difference between being the champion or runner up.

The corps that won the show here in Wichita Falls, Bluecoats, moved up two places from the Semis to finish fourth--their highest ever finish in the Finals.

In my earlier post, I said that PBS always televises the Finals after the fact, but I forgot that last year ESPN2 televised it. As soon as I find out when and where the Finals will be televised, I will post it. Trust me, although nothing compares to seeing a DCI show live, the telecast of the Finals is still powerful and exciting. I highly recommend watching it.

UPDATE: ESPN2 will telecast the DCI Finals on Sept. 5.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home