Sunday, January 22, 2006

The National Anthem at sporting events

I just finished hearing the "Star Spangled Banner" performed before the Denver-Pittsburgh game by trumpeter Chris Botti. Botti is a very talented musician best known for his smooth jazz. I really enjoy hearing him play--except for his rendition of the National Anthem. His pitch was perfect, his tone was gorgeous as it was piped through the PA system via a wireless mike, he made no mistakes...but I did not like it. He played it much like a jazz player would take a theme and create a new version. Call me old school, but that should not be done with the National Anthem (and I feel the same way about vocalists who do the same thing). For me, THE standard for how the "Star Spangled Banner" should be performed was set by Dallas trumpeter and SMU alum Tommy Loy. For 22 years, Loy (who was a superb jazz musician) played the Anthem before Dallas Cowboys home games. He simply walked on the field, put his trumpet to his mouth, and played--usually without a microphone--the music as it was written. No embellishments, no added arpeggios to show how good he was, no changes in the rhythm or melody. It was dignified and powerful. And I liked it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree 100%. I think a nice bass trombone duet would sound great.

1/22/2006 7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home