Sunday, October 02, 2005

What a day for baseball

The final day of the regular season is today, and my two teams are battling for a wild card berth. Friday was tough, as the Red Sox lost to the hated Yankees and Brad Lidge blew a save for the Astros while the Phillies won their game. Yesterday the Astros won, which was really good given that the Phillies also won. Sadly, however, the Yankees clinched the AL East by defeating the Red Sox. Today, the mission is simple for the Sox and Astros: win and you're in. If they lose, they could both still be in IF the Indians and Phillies lose. However, if the Sox and Astros lose and the Phillies and Indians win, there will be one-game playoffs tomorrow.

In many ways I am a baseball purist. For instance, I hate the DH. However, I think going to three divisions and creating the Wild Card have been great for baseball. Those moves have made the last six weeks of the longest regular season in sports really exciting.

GO ASTROS! May the Wizard mystify the Cubs!

GO RED SOX!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it is a wonderful day. High 70s, sunny, the Giants are cruising to an easy win. And oh yeah, the Yanks clinched the division title. Oh, but you already said that.

GO YANKS!!

10/02/2005 2:51 PM  
Blogger WCharles said...

Well, thanks to the White Sox, we could be looking forward to another Red Sox-Yankees LCS.

My Astros are hanging on by two runs in the top of the 8th, and they better keep hanging on because Philly is way out in front of Washington in the 9th.

As for the football Giants, I am dismayed by the game, but not for the reason you might think. On my fantasy football team (and I am in a scoring-only league), I thought about starting Eli Manning and Steven Jackson. I chose not to do so, which means I have left 36 points on my bench. :-(

10/02/2005 3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home