Thursday, September 22, 2005

So what took you so long?

In my list o' links you will see the name Daniel Drezner. You can read some info about him here. Suffice it to say that he ain't exactly a bleeding heart liberal. Yesterday he had a blog post entitled "Greetings, disenchanted conservatives." The entire post is worth reading, but I will excerpt three short paragraphs (links provided by Drezner):
It's no secret that I've been disenchanted with President Bush for some time now. Recently, it seems, a lot of conservatives have joined the club.

Shailagh Murray and Jim VandeHei report in the Washington Post that Congressional Republicans are less than thrilled with the Bush administration[.]
*******
The conservative blogosphere is not really thrilled with the administration either[.]
To which I just have to ask, "WHAT THE HELL TOOK YOU SO LONG TO BECOME DISENCHANTED?" As a heathen/Methodist/Democrat/activist, it seems to me that the Conservative movement has been abandoning true conservative values ever since Newt Gingrich bailed on his own Contract with America, and, to paraphrase Jamie Lee Curtis in "A Fish Called Wanda," calling George W. Bush a conservative would be an insult to conservatives.

And now many people are wondering just what I mean to convey with that previous sentence. :-)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you, WCharles. I did post something on your blog a few days ago along the same line, but without the backup you have provided. Early on many of the religious conservatives hoped that Bush would be one of them. But, in my circles, there was always a doubt or feeling of uncertainty. But, since Bush espoused beliefs in line with the fundamentalist religious right, they gave him the benefit of the doubt. After the failings of the preceding administration, we wanted so badly for a president that would stand on moral principles. I'm not willing to concede that Bush does not have those principles, but philosophically he is governing more along the lines of a liberal than a conservative.

And I do get your Curtis quote.

9/23/2005 7:23 PM  
Blogger WCharles said...

"I did post something on your blog a few days ago along the same line..."

Indeed you did, and, just to let you know ahead of time, my next post is not directed at you.

"And I do get your Curtis quote."

I figured you would, but there are additional possible meanings given the original line. I will say that my intention was not to be pejorative towards conservatives.

9/23/2005 8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I will say that my intention was not to be pejorative towards conservatives."

I got that.

9/23/2005 10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home