Thursday, September 15, 2005

Something to keep in mind prior to Bush's speech tonight

I must admit that I was shocked--and I am not exaggerating--when Bush said the following two days ago: "Katrina exposed serious problems in our response capability at all levels of government. And to the extent that the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility."

And for those who wonder why I was shocked, David Brooks gave a great explanation during a September 11 appearance on "The Chris Matthews Show." And just to be thorough (albeit repetitive of other posts), you can read Brooks's bio--and conservative credentials--here.

Brooks had this to say about the Bush administration's PR strategy:
MATTHEWS: Do you think there's a problem with this? I remember when the president wrote in his diary--his father, President Bush senior--"you know, I picked [former Vice President Dan] Quayle the first time around, and I wish I hadn't. But I'm stuck with him, and I can't admit it." Is there a problem with this president simply admitting, "I put the wrong people at certain jobs, I didn't get back fast enough to the White House, I wasn't calling the orders fast enough?"

BROOKS: From Day One, they had decided that our public relations is not going to be honest. Privately, they admit mistakes all the time. Publicly--and I've had this debate with them since Day One; I always say admit a mistake, people will give you credit--

MATTHEWS: Who do you debate this with?

BROOKS: With people who work in the White House.

MATTHEWS: I thought you were talking about with the president in the back room.

[laughter]

BROOKS: Not with him, but they represent what he believes, which is, if you admit a mistake, you get no credit from your enemies, and then you open up another week's story, because the admission of a little mistake leads to the admission of big mistakes and another week's story. It's totally tactical and totally insincere.
(emphasis added). Now tell me something I didn't already know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home