Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Pat Robertson: Assassin for God

Fresh from the "You just can't make this shit up" Department comes the latest proclamation from a guy who is different from the insane street preacher near the bus station only because he owns his own TV network.

I am speaking of Pat Robertson--a founder of the Christian Coalition of America, founder and owner of the Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN), and now...Assassin for God.

What Robertson said

On Monday's broadcast of "The 700 Club," CBN's news show, Robertson discussed Venezuela and its president, Hugo Chavez. Media Matters has the video and a partial transcription showing that Robertson said the following:
There was a popular coup that overthrew him [Chavez]. And what did the United States State Department do about it? Virtually nothing. And as a result, within about 48 hours that coup was broken; Chavez was back in power, but we had a chance to move in. He has destroyed the Venezuelan economy, and he's going to make that a launching pad for communist infiltration and Muslim extremism all over the continent.
You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it. It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war. And I don't think any oil shipments will stop. But this man is a terrific danger and the United ... This is in our sphere of influence, so we can't let this happen. We have the Monroe Doctrine, we have other doctrines that we have announced. And without question, this is a dangerous enemy to our south, controlling a huge pool of oil, that could hurt us very badly. We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability. We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator. It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with.
Pat Robertson is a big dope.

So here we have Robertson, an alleged man of God and one of the leaders of the religious right, expressly calling for the murder of the leader of another country. I will go back and check, but I do not think that my Bible has any statements from Jesus condoning assassination. And yet here is Robertson, a "good Christian man," calling for murder.

And then there is the little matter of assassination of world leaders being expressly against U.S. law.

And what is his justification? Assassination would be cheaper than war. Beside the fact that that is no justification, what this dumbass does not realize is that assassinating Chavez could indeed start a war. Chavez is very popular in Venezuela. The coup that Robertson mentions was engineered by the U.S. (this needs to be addressed in a separate post). It did not fail because Chavez was not killed. It failed because it was not "popular." None of the neighboring countries supported the coup, and many of them were very critical of it. Assassinating Chavez would result in damage to the U.S. in terms of relations with South American countries, and we don't need that.

Pat also is clueless when it comes to oil. Perhaps killing Chavez would not stop oil shipments in a general sense, but it is not like Venezuela has to ship oil here. There's this place called China that has a huge demand for oil, and I say there is a chance that the Chinese would be happy to buy any oil Venezuela would not ship here (and I realize that refinery resources would have an impact on that). In other words, it seems to me that Venezuela does not need us as a buyer of oil as much as we need a supply of oil (and anyone who even tries to say that we can get that oil from Iraq can just pucker up and kiss my ass).

What I want to see happen

I want the FCC to bitch slap this moron. Howard Stern got fined a fortune for being rude and disgusting. The very fabric of existence was threatened by the failure of Janet Jackson's fabric, and record fines were levied. None of that compares to using the public airwaves to advocate murder. If Stern's conduct and the "wardrobe malfunction" required big fines, then Robertson must be assessed a record fine from the FCC.

Now I know what some of you are thinking. "The 700 Club" can't be fined because it comes from a religious organization. Well, guess again. Here is a description of the show from its own web site:
The 700 Club is a news/magazine program that has the variety and pacing of a morning show with in-depth investigative reporting by the CBN News team. Whether reporting live from the scene of a terrorist attack or a natural disaster, CBN News brings coverage on major events affecting our nation. The Washington Bureau reports on news from the capitol and correspondents report on events and trends that shape the world from Moscow to Jerusalem. The 700 Club also includes live guests, special features, and music.
The show is not religious, and, in my opinion, it damn sure ain't righteous either.

Let's see if the FCC has the gonads to go after Robertson. More to the point, let's see if the Bush administration has the gonads to go after Robertson.

COMMENT ON COMMENTS: Three comments to this post have been removed by me because they were spam. For this blog, any comments that actually address the substantive matters of a post will not be removed, but please, no spam.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8/24/2005 9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8/24/2005 9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8/24/2005 9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a conservative, Fundamentalist Christian, I have to agree with much of what you say WCharles... at least concerning this incident with Robertson. How many of us "little guys" thought we should have just shot Saddam as he cowered prone in that hole? Could have saved a pile of money in feeding and housing him and with the legal process. But, that is not how we operate. We are better than that. Sure, I may think it easier just to assassinate Chavez, but I'm just a lowly citizen who happens to play the bass trombone for enjoyment. Robertson is a very public figure and he represents a large segment of the American population, whether we want him as a spokesman or not. He was wrong to make such a statement.

8/24/2005 1:01 PM  
Blogger WCharles said...

Thanks for your comments, Ray. I am not a conservative fundamentalist, but I cannot say that those who are are wrong, or even that I am right. I know what works for me, and what works for others could be very different. There needs to be an openess and discussion on these matters. What concerns me about Robertson and other "leaders" of the religious right is that they are so polarizing that open discussion and consideration becomes very difficult. In other words, I feel that Robertson gives conservative Christians a bad rap that is not productive. Then again, there are people on the other end of the spectrum that do the same.

And on a different note, it's good to have a bass bone player make an appearance here.

8/24/2005 1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WCharles, your philosophy sounds very Post Modern. Or even a throwback to the 60s concept of "I'm OK, you're OK". I do believe in absolutes, but I do not believe in forcing my beliefs on others. That is why I cannot accept people like Robertson as my spokesman. I get very irritated when liberals equate Christian Fundamentalists or even the broader Evangelical movement with Muslim fundamentalists. There is no comparison. Statements like Robertson's make it hard to make that argument and defend my position. I suppose liberals have Michael Moore and conservatives have Robertson.

I've been a long time participant on Ben van Dijk's bass trombone forum and saw your recent post and blog link. Couldn't resist checking it out.

8/24/2005 8:02 PM  
Blogger WCharles said...

"Statements like Robertson's make it hard to make that argument and defend my position."

That is part of what I was trying to say. Of course, those to whom you make that argument should also make the effort to hear you out without lumping you in with Robertson.

As for my philosophy, the TM thing you refer to always struck me as too simplistic. I, too, believe in some absolutes, chief among them Jesus's commandements to love God with all your being and love your neighbor as yourself. As long as someone does things to meet those commandments, I don't care what someone believes. And as for the TM mantra of "I'm OK, you're OK" it doesn't really fit me, for my theological views are pretty much guaranteed to piss off everyone in one way or another, and I will never be afraid to express my beliefs. ;-)

I recognized your name from Ben van Dijk's forum. After spending several months just reading, I decided I should register. What a great forum. I find it more helpful than the OTJ forum.

8/24/2005 9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I left OTJ many months ago because of the childishness that was rampant. Ben's site doesn't get the traffic of OTJ but, does get serious posters with lots of excellent advice and information.

Have you ever heard of World Magazine? It is the Christian version of Time or Newsweek. They have an excellent blog with posters of many stripes. It can get nasty, but very informative and even entertaining at times. Check out worldmag.com and click on the blog. The organization comes from a Reformed theology perspective and one of the chief operators is Marvin Olasky from a university in some little state called Texas. (Tongue in cheek)

I realize the TM label was very simplistic. I did read a few of your posts and wasn't saying you don't believe in some absolutes because obviously you do. It's just that if something works for you and something different works for me and we could both be right or wrong fits into the current Post Modern world view. Just an observation from a Yankee in NY.

I believe you said you were a United Methodist. For a more level playing field, I'm a Regular Baptist.

8/25/2005 6:53 AM  
Blogger WCharles said...

Thanks for the info on World Magazine. It turns out that Olasky has a column about Robertson's statements.

As for the OTJ and Ben's forum, I agree with you. Then again, Ben's forum is by bass trombonists for bass trombonists, so of course it is excellent!

I had no problem with with your references to Post Modernism or TM. I could tell from your first comment here that you are not a simplistic thinker, and I hope my replies did not insinuate otherwise.

I also have no problem with you being a NY Yankee--at least generally speaking. If you are a Yankees fan, we might have some clashes since I am a lifelong Red Sox fan. ;-)

And lastly, I have a story that I hope at least makes you smile demurely. In high school, almost all of my friends were either Baptist or Catholic. That certainly made for some "spirited" discussions on religion. About the only thing they could agree on was that since I was Methodist, I was a heathen.

8/25/2005 9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

World blog had a discussion the day after Robertson's ill conceived remarks and the overwhelming reaction was he screwed up. There were a few posters that were on the fence, but even they had to admit his comments were inappropriate and should not have been made publicly. BTW, your replies to my posts were fine. Besides, it is your blog and I'm the visitor.

I'm a NY'er, but live upstate. Downstate is a whole 'nother world, full of flaming liberals. I am a Yankees fan, but was glad to see Boston win the World Series after so many decades. They deserved it, the Yankees didn't. I dislike Steinbrenner.

8/25/2005 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home