Sunday, August 14, 2005

The reason for my inactivity

After saying that I would resume posting despite my heavy work load, I failed to do so. Instead, I chose to devote my time to quickly being able to acquire something to help in my part time musical endeavors, namely a new bass trombone. Below is a picture and some specs.




  • Kanstul 1662 Double Bass Bone
  • .562 bore
  • Stacked dependent Kanstul CR rotary valves (larger than standard rotary valves, with a larger bore--.593--lightweight, and vented to prevent popping)
  • Minibal linkages for valves and triggers
  • In slide tuning (no tuning slide in bell section)
  • Open wrap in F and D, lightly braced, D slide on the front for better balance, narrow D crook for neck clearance
  • 9.5" bell with Conn Elkhart taper
Those are the basics. The horn I will get will look different from the above picture. My horn will have a rose brass bell (22 gauge) and a wide Bach-type slide.

I started playing bass bone in high school on an Elkhart Conn 70-H--which for you trombone afficianados will explain my initial interest in the Kanstul 1662--and in college I played a Holton TR 180,which I have been playing on since--and that should explain my preference for a rose brass bell.

I realize that most people will have no idea what all this means, and even fewer will care, but this is really exciting stuff for me, and any bass bone players out there will appreciate all this info.

More pics to follow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home