Monday, October 03, 2005

Thanks, MSNBC, for misrepresenting my opinion.

MSNBC has a "Question of the Day," and today's question is "Harriet Miers: Does it matter that she was never a judge?"

In response to the question, I sent an email to MSNBC stating that while judicial experience would be preferable, other experience could be relevant. I compared Miers to Roberts, and in a brief manner (no, really) explained that while Roberts's non-judicial experience qualified him to be on the Supreme Court, Miers's did not.

Then I listed Miers's administrative experience and noted that said experience did not qualify her to be on the Supreme Court.

MSNBC aired part of my email. Mine was preceded by an email stating emphatically that Miers was not qualified and that this was simply a political appointment. I completely agree, and my email to MSNBC reflected that. Imagine my surprise when the previous email was read and then Melissa Stark said, "but Charles from Texas writes" and reads only the portion of my email that said Miers had good administrative experience as head of a law firm and president of the Dallas Bar and Texas Bar. MSNBC conveniently left out the next sentence which said such experience was not relevant to being an Associate Justice.

I immediately fired off another email to MSNBC explicitly saying that my opinion had been misrepresented.

Somehow I doubt that one will get any air time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home