Monday, October 16, 2006

Some thoughts on Kinky and the two-party system

NOTE: This post could be part of the ongoing discussion in the preceding post, but I decided to make it a separate post. And to those participating in the ongoing discussion, don't get too cocky after reading this. ;-)

Saturday afternoon before the SMU game (won by the 'Stangs, giving them a 4-3 record), I was having a political discussion with two of my good Mustang Band friends. One of them is a staunch Democrat who has been very active in Democratic political organizations. When the conversation turned to the governor's race, he said that Kinky really needs to drop out. I told him that I had been supporting Kinky from day one, and he said I might as well be voting for Perry (the Republican incumbent).

My dear Democratic friend (and I am being sincere, as we have known each other for 30 years and he is one of the finest persons I know) is laboring under a misconception, namely that everyone supporting Friedman would vote for the Democratic candidate, Chris Bell, if Kinky were not in the race. See, many of Kinky's supporters are Republicans, and if Kinky were not in the race, it is highly unlikely they would vote for Bell. So while my friend believes that a vote for Kinky is taking away a vote for Bell, I think that Kinky is taking votes away from Perry.

If Kinky wins--and there is a chance he will--it will be a historic event which will maybe--just maybe--shake up our screwed up two-party system.


2 Comments:

Blogger WCharles said...

Too cocky? No, but my invisible friends are highly offended.

Actually, I was hoping that perhaps "those" would get some people (my vast horde of readers, you know) to at least follow our ongoing discussion.

Other parts of my Saturday conversation are highly relevant to that discussion, and some of them support points you have made.

10/17/2006 11:00 AM  
Blogger WCharles said...

If only my invisible friends could type...

10/18/2006 1:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home