Tuesday, April 25, 2006

SMU Men's basketball talk

Big news from the Hilltop in Big D! Matt Doherty has been named new head coach of men's basketball at SMU. This makes me one happy camper. I have been and always will be a Mustang (both parents graduated from there, my father got his first graduate degree there, I went there for undergrad and law school, was a varsity athlete and a member of the Mustang Band, still have strong ties to the Band, etc.), but when it comes to college basketball, I am also a big Tar Heel fan (a story for another time). So I am happy that SMU is getting not just a former Tar Heel, but one that won a national championship and learned from a true master, Dean Smith. He then spent several years at KU as an assistant to another Tar Heel and coaching great, Roy Williams.

I know skeptics will point to his last year as coach at UNC, but he was a proven winner at Notre Dame and his first season at UNC, when he was the national coach of the year. All in all, I'd say this is great day for SMU basketball.

1 Comments:

Blogger WCharles said...

I catch your drift, and I have a humorous story about that coach. When he was hired at Texas Tech, a lot of people were concerned that Knight would be out of control like he was at Indiana. I told people there was no way that was going to happen because of the AD at Tech. The AD is Gerald Meyers, longtime basketball coach at Tech. Meyers is at least a foot shorter than Knight, but he is a tough West Texas native who absolutely could and would take Knight down in a street fight--and Meyers would not hesitate to literally kick Knight's ass. And you know what? Ol' Bobby has been well behaved indeed.

4/25/2006 9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home