Sunday, April 23, 2006

Football talk: Giants sign Arrington

As I am now a Giants fan, I took great interest in the news that the Giants just signed LaVar Arrington from the hated Redskins.

Just to recap, I will not be a Cowboys fan as long as t.o. is there. However, that does not mean I have to start liking the Redskins. I mean to say, my disgust for the t.o. signing can go only so far. ;-) Anyway, being a Giants fan means I can still hate the Redskins.

Back to the Arrington signing. This could be a brilliant move, or it could all go wrong. Even after a knee injury, Arrington is one of the most talented and imposing linebackers in the game. He is very big, fast, has a propensity to make big plays, and has a serious mean streak. One of the problems for the Giants last year was linebacker, mainly because of injuries. All of that falls into the "brilliant" side of the ledger.

In the "could all go wrong" side, there are two items. First, there is the injury possibility. Arrigton suffered a major knee injury in 2004, and his rehab was problematical. He passed the Giants' physical, so it appears that he is completely healthy, but injury remains a possibility. The second item is a potential attitude problem. Arrington had all sorts of problems with coaches and management at Washington last year. He is arrogant, and at times he seems selfish to me. In other words, he has some definite t.o. qualities.

But let's return to the "brilliant" possibilities. Arrington will get to play the hated Redskins twice a year, and his new team could play a role in keeping Washington out of the playoffs. In other words, he will have major motivation to stay focused and behaved. Also, as I have said in another discussion, head coach Tom Coughlin is not one to put up with any kind of crap from players. And after last season, you have to consider that the players are not going to let Arrington be a problem. Coughlin really had the players upset, but they seem to have worked that out. While Coughlin is still a hard ass, he has let up some, and the players have come to understand and appreciate Coughlin's ways. In other words, coach and players have come to trust each other and work together. There is a potential for something special to happen this season for the Giants, and I think that if Arrington starts to cause any trouble (and he might not), I think the players will take a primary role in solving the problem.

Then again, since I am a newcomer to the Giants fandom, I might need a little more guidance. I wonder if there is anybody who might provide that...

4 Comments:

Blogger WCharles said...

Hey, it is hard enough to make the change to be part of the anti-Cowboy faction (a phrase coined by Dallas native and king of sports talk radio Mike Rhyner on KTCK in Dallas). There is no way I can stop hating the Redskins, too! LOL

If healthy, Arrington can be an impact player like LT. However, he will have to stay within the scheme, whereas in LT's time, it seemed like the entire defensive scheme was built around LT.

4/23/2006 8:39 PM  
Blogger WCharles said...

I haven't followed baseball closely yet, but I am glad to see that both the Red Sox and Astros are in first. The Astros have made a habit the last few years of digging a huge hole early in the season, and I'm glad that for the time being that has not happened this season.

I have been wrapped up in the NAHL playoffs (more on that later), and now that the Stanley Cup playoffs have started, that's my focus (and the Stars and Rangers both stunk up the joint yesterday).

4/23/2006 8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think arrington is a great move. especially with the incentive laden contract

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5528526

I'm just curious who is going to start where.

with short, arrington, and pierce, they've got 3 250 lbs linebackers. I'm not sure any of them can really handle the coverage on the weak side

4/24/2006 9:32 AM  
Blogger WCharles said...

Overall, I agree that this is a good move. There is some risk, but there is a great deal of potential upside.

If Arrington is back to full speed, I don't know that it is so much a question of IF he can cover the weak side as much as WILL he do so? Then again, it will be interesting to see who is going to start where.

4/24/2006 2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home