Thursday, December 09, 2010

Obama's lack of change I can believe in--an overview

During the 2008 campaign I had many Republicans ask me whether I agreed with all of Obama's policy positions. I said "no," which prompted questions about why I was voting for him. Well, the #1 reason was "He's not crazy John McCain and Sarah Palin is not his running mate." Then I went on to explain that I felt that Obama's message of "Change" was not primarily about policy but process. What I mean by that is a change in the process of how things operate in Washington--a change from blind partisanship, rancor, obscurity in government, a lack of substance, etc. I would then tell people that if Obama truly made that "change" a priority, I would support him, but if he did not make a significant effort in that regard, I would not support him. I also said that I did not know whether he would actually work for such "change."

Well, as far as I can tell, he has utterly failed to work for the change I can believe in. Now I know what some of you Democrats are thinking..."How could Obama do anything with the asshole Republicans behaving like they have." Let me be clear. The Republicans have been assholes, but that does not get Obama off the hook, and here's why. The Republicans did not force Obama to operate his administration in much the same way that George W. Bush operated his. The Republicans did not force Obama to continue some of the same policies as the Bush administration. The Republicans did not force Obama to make the amazingly stupid tactical and strategic decisions he has made--and the big one is pursuing health reform when he did. The Republicans did not force Obama to choose to keep talking about about compromise and "reaching out" when the Republicans blatantly showed time and again that they were not going to compromise or engage in actual bipartisanship. The Republicans did not force Obama to show such a lack of resolve and courage to stand up and fight.

In subsequent posts I am going to discuss all of this, and I will start with how Obama has continued what Bush started.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home