Saturday, March 04, 2006

Upcoming further look at Katrina, Bush, and Brown--and an apology to Mike Brown

When Mike Brown last testified before Congress, I started working on a review and revision of his role and performance in the Katrina disaster. Since then, there has been a great deal of additional information disclosed which further shows that the Bush administration cannot simply be truthful about anything.

While I am still working on various posts on this matter, I want to present an apology to Mike Brown. In Mike is Brown and sounds like a bell, I was highly (to put it mildly) critical of Brown. While Brown still deserves some criticism, what has come out since his initial Congressional testimony shows that he did not and does not deserve the absolute villification dished out by me.

What has come out since his initial testimony does show that Bush, Chertoff, and DHS deserve much more blame than they first received. Bush and Chertoff willingly and gladly set up Brown to be the fall guy, and they hung him out to dry. Why am I not surprised?

3 Comments:

Blogger WCharles said...

Well, despite my lack of kindness, the recent revelations do show plenty of things wrong with Bush and his administration. What I will post later is not an "I told you so" on Katrina. Had the recent revelations not occurred, I could still point back to my previous posts and say "I told you so." The recent revelations are significant not because they are new to the Katrina situation, but because they provide yet another example of the dishonesty and incompetency of the Bush administration. The recent revelations on Katrina present yet more evidence of what I (and plenty of others) have been saying about the Bush administration since I started this blog in August 2004.

Bush said that no one knew about the possible consequences and that no one knew what was happening in New Orleans, and then he allowed the blame for those claims to be pinned on Brown. Now we know that Bush was wrong on both counts.

And I will remind everyone that even after Bush without a doubt knew about the flooding in New Orleans, he went first to Arizona to have a "town meeting" on Social Security and then to San Diego the next day to give a speech about the war on terror. Then he went back to Crawford and did not get back to Washington until two and a half days after the flooding. I detailed all of this in the "Next part of the extended rant" on September 6. I found it shocking that even after there was no question that Bush knew what was happening in New Orleans, he did not drop everything he was doing and get his ass back on the job, and now it turns out that he had more information BEFORE the storm hit, and not only did he not alter his itinerary, he told the nation with a straight face that he did not have any of that info before the storm hit. AND it turns out that Bush got some of that information from Mike Brown.

3/05/2006 11:49 AM  
Blogger WCharles said...

Upon further review, I have to admit that my previous comment pretty much is an "I told you so" as to how the Bush administration operates. I think that the vast majority of my Katrina related complaints dealt with what I see as inherent and systemic faults in the Bush administration.

3/05/2006 6:26 PM  
Blogger WCharles said...

Points well taken...

3/05/2006 9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home