Monday, April 25, 2005

Of youth and music

Over the last two and a half years, I have really gotten involved in music again. I play regularly in five different ensembles, and I occasionally teach music lessons. One of the groups I play with is the Wichita Falls Community Jazz Band. Yesterday we performed at an event that has become a tradition here. Jazz Fest features all the public schools, Midwestern State University's jazz ensemble, and several other groups. It is a fund raiser for a scholarship fund. Two of the groups in the show were bands from junior high schools. It was great to hear 7th and 8th graders really playing jazz--getting the rhythms and feel right and outright grooving. For me, playing jazz--especially swing--is such a joy, and I am thrilled that it is being taught in junior high here. If anybody out there loves this music, please do what you can to introduce young people to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home