Friday, February 01, 2008

Even Molly Ivins didn't want Hillary.

I don't know why it took me this long to find out about this.

This is another one of those posts directed to Democrats.

Anyone claiming to be a Democrat and/or a liberal who doesn't know who Molly Ivins was is not a Democrat or a liberal. And anyone claiming to be a Democrat and/or a liberal and a Texan who doesn't know who Molly Ivins was damn sure ain't a Texan.

Wingers felt about Molly the same way rational people feel about Coultergeist.

Molly did not suffer fools, hypocrites, cowards, or bullshit in general.

Molly had one of the quickest and sharpest wits ever, and she was one hell of a writer.

Molly never pulled her punches.

Molly was the person who gave George W. Bush the nickname of "Shrub."

Molly was a genuine Texan through and through.

I miss Molly Ivins.

And I say that even though she was at times too liberal for me. Ah, but that's part of the point of this post. Molly Ivins was very liberal. In the column I am about to cite, Molly said some things with which I do not agree, but I definitely agree with her overall theme.

That column was published on January 20, 2006, and was entitled "I will not support Hillary Clinton for president." Quoting the first two paragraphs should be sufficient.
I'd like to make it clear to the people who run the Democratic Party that I will not support Hillary Clinton for president.

Enough. Enough triangulation, calculation and equivocation. Enough clever straddling, enough not offending anyone. This is not a Dick Morris election. Sen. Clinton is apparently incapable of taking a clear stand on the war in Iraq, and that alone is enough to disqualify her. Her failure to speak out on Terri Schiavo, not to mention that gross pandering on flag-burning, are just contemptible little dodges.
What do you know? Yet another woman who would not support Hillary. Yet another ultra-liberal who would not support Hillary.

Now I know what some of you Hillary supporters are thinking...This column was written two years ago and Hillary has changed. Uh, no she has not. Wake up.

Well, one thing has changed, namely that Hillary and Bill have regularly offended people in this campaign. I just wish Molly was still around to write some more. Maybe this time she would tell us how she really feels. ;-)


8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Wingers felt about Molly the same way rational people feel about Coultergeist."

Yep, and I know who she was. So obnoxiously liberal I rarely read her.

2/01/2008 6:16 PM  
Blogger WCharles said...

And that's why this post was not directed at Republicans. ;-)

2/02/2008 12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm sorry. Maybe you should put a disclaimer at the top that says, "Republicans, please do not read this post". :-)

2/02/2008 11:40 AM  
Blogger WCharles said...

Perhaps I should have put Molly's name in capital letters and bold face. Maybe that would have been enough to scare off Republicans.

I was going to make some comparison along the lines of "scare them like _______ does to ________," but I am oh so above that sort of thing. LOL

But seriously, if Molly was still alive, I guarantee you she would be skewering Hillary and Bill in a way that no one could quite match. Even you might have enjoyed it.

It's kind of like what Peggy Noonan said in that op-ed I sent you--Hillary and Bill are finally uniting people.

2/02/2008 12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Republicans...I love how they come on your blog and tell you want to do. :)

But goodness, I'm so snagging this for my blog. I had no idea about this article. Now I'm feeling bad. I have about 20 Ivins articles that I've been meaning to read since '04-ish and I've moved them from computer to computer and still no reading. This is probably in there.

2/05/2008 12:24 AM  
Blogger WCharles said...

Faboo, there's no need to be harsh about Ray. He is my only regular participant here, and as I said in a comment to another post, "On the slim chance that there might actually be other people that read this post, I want to make them aware that Ray and I regularly trade good-natured sarcastic barbs."

It's a bass trombone thing, you see. ;-)

As an example, "WCharles" stands for my first initial and middle name (W. Charles), and Ray, knowing that I am not a Bush fan, quickly started calling me "Dubya2."

And Ray would never even think about telling me or anyone else what to do. He's not like that.

Ray is reasonable for a Republican (and I do expect a retort). He was against the Iraq war from the beginning, for instance. Over the last two and a half years, he and I have had some really good discussions here and elsewhere, and we have found quite a bit of common ground. We have been pleased to find that despite our different perspectives, we can actually discuss substance.

I mean to say, he's a Yankees fan and I'm a Red Sox fan, and we have civil discussions about baseball. LOL

2/05/2008 12:54 AM  
Blogger WCharles said...

Now, as for snagging the article for your blog...I still can't believe I didn't know anything about it until recently. I have been anti-Hillary for a long time and this is the sort of thing I would have immediately posted if I had seen it back in January 2006. Oh well, I guess the timing wasn't right then, and it certainly is now.

2/05/2008 1:00 AM  
Blogger WCharles said...

Oh, I forgot one other thing. One of Ray's favorite things is trying to get a rise out of me, and he likes to think that I am rather gullible in that regard. :-)

2/05/2008 1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home