Monday, August 27, 2007

My only commentary on Michael Vick

Michael Vick entered a guilty plea on dog fighting charges. Let me explain why I think Michael Vick is one sorry-ass person. I will say now that anyone who thinks my condemnation of Vick has anything to do with race can kiss my ass. I would say the same things about anyone of any race.

It is not because he was involved in dog fighting. I think dog fighting is reprehensible, but I can accept that it is culturally acceptable in some circles. I can also accept that some dogs are bred to fight. Fighting is in their genetic makeup.

It is not because he lied to the authorities, the NFL, and the world about his involvement in these sorry affairs. He broke the law, and as a result he was in a position of losing millions of legitimate dollars and a career, and I can understand why he would lie.

It is not because he was involved in gambling. Vick said that he never personally bet on or benefited from any dog fights. I think that is utter bullshit. Even if it is true, he was nonetheless deeply involved in gambling. Gambling is an inherent and inseparable part of dog fighting. From a professional sports league perspective, the involvement in gambling is the big concern and crime. Any professional athlete, but especially a marquee star like Vick, who is involved in any kind of gambling venture runs a risk of having that fact used as a means to get him to fix games in some way. Thus, the gambling activity was a huge problem. Still, that is not my problem with Vick.

My problem is with Vick killing dogs, more specifically the way he killed dogs. I can accept that dogs that were not aggressive or vicious enough would have to be put down. I don't like it, I think it is wrong, but I can accept it. What I cannot accept is how Vick and his cohorts killed the dogs--by hanging, drowning, and electrocution. Anyone who does that is a sick, twisted fuckhead. If you are going to kill a dog and you don't want to spend the time and the money to have it done by a vet, try a single bullet to the head. Is that cruel? Well, it damn sure is nowhere near as cruel as hanging, drowning, and electrocution. Vick and his cohorts deliberately chose to kill the dogs viciously, slowly, and painfully instead of quickly and cleanly. And they didn't have other people do it. They did it themselves. That is just sick.

I don't care if Michael Vick ever plays in the NFL again.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really have to agree with your assessment. I think both Bonds and Vick are examples of the worst of professional sports. I am non-plussed that Atlanta says they may allow Vick to return.

But, my real point in responding now is to highlight the NY Yankees. The Evil Empire. The team everyone loves to hate. Last night, their star young pitcher, Chamberlain, threw 2 pitches at a Red Sox batter's head. Give the Sox player credit for keeping a cool head and displaying a professional attitude that is often lacking in professional sports. But, also credit the Yankees with immediately assessing Chamberlain a fine and suspending him for 2 games. The Yankees are in the hunt and need every tool they have and right now Chamberlain is a hot tool. But, the team's management did the right thing by taking this action. Compare the Yankees with the Giant's head-in-the-sand attitude toward Bonds and the Falcons handling of Vicks. Who is truly evil?

8/31/2007 8:21 PM  
Blogger WCharles said...

You have accomplished something remarkable, namely getting a Red Sox fan to agree that the Yankees did something right. I liked Torre's comment after the game about how if he wanted to send a message he wouldn't not have sent a 21-yr old kid out to do it.

As for Bonds, I don't like the guy and I think he is dirty, but I also think major league baseball had head in the sand/look the other way syndrome regarding performance-enhancing drugs for so long that I think MLB shares a lot of the blame. But that's another topic...

8/31/2007 10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home