Sunday, August 26, 2007

My "new" horn two years later and other musical musings

WARNING: This post is heavy with bass bone technical talk.

Today marks the two-year anniversary of owning my Kanstul 1662 bass trombone. I am happy to say that I still love the horn. I still think it is the best horn out there for me. Of course that didn't stop me from buying a 1953 Conn 70H about a month ago, but that's another story...Back to my Kanstul. After two years I can provide a good evaluation of the horn. It's not perfect, but I still would not have a different horn. For a while I had a problem with the valves getting gummed up and needing cleaning on a semi-frequent basis. Fortunately, all I had to do to solve that problem was change valve oil (from Zaja Blue to Zaja Pro). Another problem was that the solder on the F trigger gave way twice, which required the use of a heavier solder. The F trigger has remained in place since then, but the heavier solder combined with the amazing singing resonance of the horn has caused the trigger hardware to vibrate, and that in turn would cause a buzz when playing tuning Bb. Wierd, huh? Once I took the thumb paddle off that problem was solved. The only other problem I have had is that notes in seventh position generally have to be played in 7+ position to be in tune, but given that I generally play low B and E with the F trigger, this is not a big problem.

Bottom line: The 1662 is still the only horn out there that has all the features I want, and the horn is still amazingly versatile, and I still love it.

I changed mouthpieces about nine months ago, going from the Rath B 1 1/2 W to the Rath 1 1/4 W, which is a larger mouthpiece. The new mouthpiece did more than open up the lower register. It opened up my overall sound to give me the precise tone I wanted. It has been a lot of work as I have never used a big mouthpiece (this one is .1 mm larger than a Bach 1G), but it has been worth it.

About six weeks ago I bought Ben's Basics, a method book by Ben van Dijk, one of the best bass trombonists in the world (his website is in my list o' links). This is a fabulous book, and I highly recommend it. I have been doing the book's basic practice routine, and it is the best one I have ever tried. Should anyone be interested in more details about that, we can discuss it in the comments.

And finally...I have started a trombone quartet. The name of the group is Quadrivial Quotient, and if things go well, a website will follow in the semi-near future (I have several internet domains wrapped up). I've gone a little bit crazy acquiring music, and we have over 200 charts at our disposal. We have music for almost every occasion except bar mitzvahs (anyone know where I can get some klezmer music arranged for trombone quartet?). Our "world premier" is tentatively scheduled for October 28. Details to follow.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me get this straight, your Kanstul is the perfect horn. The F trigger keeps falling off and to fix it, the solder had to be globbed on causing a vibration and causing a raucous buzz on tuning Bb, one of the most used notes. The valves keep getting gummed up. Seventh position is worthless since it is so out of tune you need longer arms or a lever extension used on contra-basses to reach the in-tune notes. Hmmm, my traditional, *conservative*, older Bach has none of those problems. Yep, that cranky, *liberal*, new Kanstul is perfect for someone with your political leanings.

8/27/2007 6:56 AM  
Blogger WCharles said...

First of all, would that "conservative" Bach be the one that has been extensively modified? Second, as is typical of someone of your political leanings, you have misquoted me. I did not say the horn was perfect. And thanks for the easy set up on that one. :-)

But seriously, the valves are no longer a problem. Apparently my spit did not mix well with the Zaja Blue (there's a political joke in there somewhere).

The 7th position deal I think is related to the TIS. Some of the older Conns with TIS (like my 70H) had slides that were slightly longer than other horns, and my Kanstul slide is not. I'll take this anomaly in return for the TIS any day.

The buzzing deal is strange. I about went crazy (there's another set up for you) trying to find the cause. I checked every joint, seal, brace, and screw other than the trigger hardware, and I noticed that when I barely had my thumb on the paddle I could feel a vibration in my thumb. The buzzing would stop if I put a finger on any part of the trigger arms, and then I finally figured out that removing the paddle solved the problem.

And as for my horn being "liberal," it was made in L.A. ;-)

8/27/2007 10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said it is the best horn for you. The dictionary defines, in part, perfect as, "Lacking in nothing essential to the whole; complete of its nature or kind.". If you claim the Kanstul is the best for you then there is nothing lacking, it completes you. It does not leave you marginalized, you are affirmed as a human being with musical proclivities. It is a perfect as it's owner.

Yes, my Bach is extensively modified. All of the pecadillos it most likely displayed when new have been corrected through tweaking and adjusting and replacing. It is truly pure perfection regardless of its appearance. Your Kanstul may be beautiful to look at, but as they say, beauty is only skin deep. My Bach has a beautiful soul and a sonorous sound.

Maybe our horns are metaphors of our inner beings. Yours with its sinful flaws and mine with its righteousness.

8/27/2007 12:16 PM  
Blogger WCharles said...

"Maybe our horns are metaphors of our inner beings. Yours with its sinful flaws and mine with its righteousness."

I think that is the best comeback you have dealt me. LOL! It is, of course, incorrect, but a great comeback nonetheless.

8/27/2007 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home