Friday, August 10, 2007

Certain aspects of Firefox are crap.

I was suffering from more burnout and this is what gets me to start posting again...

I use Firefox as my primary web browser. I have been using it since before I started this blog. Overall, I like it better than IE or Netscape. HOWEVER, some aspects of Firefox are inexcusably bad.

Almost every time for at least the last year whenever I downloaded the latest version of Firefox, I lost all my bookmarks. The first time that happened I lost a huge amount of bookmarks--and they had all been organized, no less. As a result, I don't bookmark anything in Firefox any more. It seems this flaw might have been fixed, but I still won't rebuild my bookmark list.

And then there is Firefox's download manager, which is a complete piece of shit. It always has been, and still is. It takes at least 30 seconds for it to come up if it is not already open. Any file of any kind that is downloaded is noted in the download manager, and any time I have tried to remove a single file or use the "clean up" button (which clears the entire download manager), the whole program freezes. And good luck trying to find any support or help on this matter. I don't have time to wander through all the forums to find solutions. WILL SOMEBODY IN THE MOZILLA COMMUNITY FIX THE PIECE OF SHIT DOWNLOAD MANAGER? There are other problems with the download manager, but I am not going to detail them now.

Look, there are many great things about Firefox, but I do not understand why the download manager continues to be a steaming pile of crap.

And another thing...It takes Firefox about five times as long to download picture files than on IE. What's up with that?

People working on Firefox really need to fix these problems.


6 Comments:

Blogger The Atlanta Atheist said...

I think there is rather something wrong with your computer. I've used firefox on many computers and have never had any of the problems you are experiencing. May be time for an upgrade.

8/10/2007 1:36 AM  
Blogger WCharles said...

Many others have experienced the problem with losing bookmarks. I did take the time to search the forums for info about that.

As for the download manager, I am glad you have not experienced the same problems (and I am being sincere about that). That being said, the fact that I have had these problems for over three years in every version of Firefox in that time is at least an indication that the problem is not with my hardware. Then again, I could be wrong. My sister just got a new computer, so I will check it out.

I'm not going to stop using Firefox as my primary browser, as for most things I do I find it easier and more efficient than IE or Netscape, and I like the community development aspect of it. However, it annoys me that for a few things, I need to switch over to IE or Netscape.

8/10/2007 2:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have it on good authority it is all George Bush's fault.

8/10/2007 10:37 AM  
Blogger WCharles said...

It's all them pesky internets. :-)

8/10/2007 11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Then it really must be Al Gore's fault.

8/10/2007 12:25 PM  
Blogger WCharles said...

Now that's funny. :-)

8/10/2007 12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home