Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Bush comes to Gonzales's defense again.

Q: What do you think of the criticism of Attorney General Gonzales as a potential nominee? And will there be a litmus test on abortion and gay marriage when you consider your choice?

PRESIDENT BUSH: Thanks. First of all, as I said during both of my campaigns, there will be no litmus test. I'll pick people who, one, can do the job, people who are honest, people who are bright, and people who will strictly interpret the Constitution and not use the bench to legislate from. That's what I campaigned on and that's what I want to do.

She's referring to the fact that my Attorney General, longtime friend, a guy who was my -- close when I was the governor of Texas, came up to Washington with me as part of the movement of Texans south to north during the government. He's been my lawyer in the White House; he's now the Attorney General; he's under -- he's being criticized. I don't like it when a friend gets criticized. I'm loyal to my friends. And all of a sudden this fellow, who is a good public servant and a really fine person, is under fire. And so, do I like it? No, I don't like it, at all.
(emphasis added). This is yet more evidence that loyalty is BIG for Bush. This is more evidence that a person's position on specific issues is low on the priority list. This is more evidence that Bush is leaning towards nominating Gonzales.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home