Friday, January 07, 2005

Don't take my word for it...

I realize that some people might think I have no business spouting off about military matters and calling our Secretary of Defense and his chief deputy Rumskull and Wolfowitless. After all, I'm just a smart-ass lawyer and certifiable freedom-hater.

Well, if you don't want to take my word that the powers that be deserve extreme criticism, I suggest you check out David Hackworth's January 3 column over at Soldiers for the Truth. Here's an excerpt:
So here's my New Year’s resolution: to keep countering Pentagon lies with the truth until enough concerned citizens demand that Congress set up a congressional investigative arm to formally expose the liars and hold them accountable.

For almost six decades, I’ve borne witness to scuzzy machinations that had little or nothing to do with America’s national security. And because of them, I’ve watched my beloved country become enmeshed in far too many blood-splattered military misadventures only because they were good for Pentagon business. I’ve seen trillions of dollars allocated for gold-plated pork of value only to the monsters who manipulate the military-industrial-congressional complex and absolutely worthless to our gallant soldiers – the kids who end up paying the ultimate price for the madness of war.

Had a decent chunk of that dough been spent on the right stuff – supporting our troops – our warriors wouldn’t have fought in Korea in 1950 with World War I gear or be slugging it out in Iraq in scrounged “hillbilly armor” and told to go to war with the Army we have and to suck it up.
And if you have a problem with my credentials, try and find fault with Hackworth's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home