Saturday, August 21, 2010

The so-called "Ground Zero mosque"

I will be publishing several posts on this matter, and before I do I thought I should give a summary of my views.

My opinion is based on the First Amendment and the right of religious freedom in this country. Any other basis for any position on this matter is, in my opinion, misguided.

The group seeking to build the proposed Muslim community center and mosque should be allowed to proceed with the project.

This does not mean that I am in total agreement with that group. Personally, based on my view of the First Amendment and my beliefs in general, I have no problem with the project or its location. However, I believe the group should have chosen a different location. I believe that their stated goal of outreach and bridging gaps between religions is truly one of their goals, but the group seems to have underestimated the intensity of reaction to the location. Such reaction--which was very foreseeable--only gives the group an additional major obstacle to overcome in achieving its goal. Its task would be difficult under the best of circumstances, and instead of trying to avoid complicating circumstances, it chose to create one.

That basic reaction--that the project is simply too close to Ground Zero--is, in my opinion, understandable and legitimate. However, the freedom of religion in America established by the First Amendment should take priority over that reaction. Otherwise, one of the foundations upon which this country has been built will be damaged, and that damage could increase.

I am in strong disagreement with the likes of Newt Gingrich, Sarah Palin, and those that have similar views.

I will be stating my own views in the next series of posts. I will begin with my reaction to the rantings of Newt Gingrich.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home