Thursday, October 21, 2004

World Series time!

Well, I almost had my dream World Series, but the Cardinals just won Game 7. I'm still mighty proud of the Astros. If they had to lose to anybody, I'm glad it was the Cardinals. What a great team and a classy organization.

That being said...GO RED SOX!

At least now I don't have to feel conflicted in the World Series. I started watching baseball in the summer of 1967, and quickly chose the Astros as my favorite team since they were the only team in Texas at the time. Then came the 1967 World Series--a classic between...the Cardinals and the Red Sox. As I watched that Series, I thought Carl Yastrzemski was the coolest guy on the planet, and the Red Sox have been my favorite team in the American League and a very close second overall ever since.

That 1967 Series was my first experience as a Red Sox fan. Anyone who has ever been a Red Sox fan knows what I mean. Then came another of the greatest World Series of all time in 1975. The second huge hanging curveball Bill Lee threw to Tony Perez still haunts me. 1978--Bucky F_____ Dent. 1986 we will not speak of. And then last year's game 7...

I considered not saying anything about the Red Sox because I didn't want to get my hopes up. Cruel fate might once again be patiently waiting, watching in the dark for just the right moment to rip out the hearts of Red Sox Nation, but you know what? Even if that happens, it will never, ever change the fact that for the first time in history, a team that was down 0-3 in a series won the series, and the team that was the first in history to lose a 3-0 lead is the Yankees, and the team that put the Yankees in the record book as the biggest collapse in baseball playoff history is the Red Sox.

Sorry, Yankees fans. Feel our pain.

GO RED SOX!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home